There are many common misconceptions about the reasons why your child will or will not eat what you made them for dinner tonight.
The following “Myths” may help shed some light on these!
1. Eating is the body’s #1 priority
Actually, to some surprise this is not true. Eating is not the body’s #1, even drinking water is not. Breathing is!
2. Eating is instinctive
As a matter of fact, this doesn’t always come so naturally. Many babies and infants need assistance with learning how to eat.
3. Eating is easy
Conditions from autism to heart disease can cause a child to have a difficult time eating.
4. Eating is a 2-step process
There are actually 3-steps to the eating process!
5. It is not ok to play with your food
Letting your child play with their food actually makes them more inclined to want to eat it!
6. If the child is hungry enough, they will eat. They will not starve themselves
Some children are not able to feed themselves, and will need assistance with doing this or will not eat at all.
7. Children only need to eat 3x’s a day
While a child continues to grow and develop the amount that they need to eat generally will increase.
8. A child who won’t eat has either a behavioral OR an organic problem
Although signs of issues feeding can be noticed early on, some children can develop issues later on that make it difficult to eat.
9. Certain foods are only eaten as specified times of the day and only certain foods are ” healthy for you”
This can vary quite a bit, as every child’s nutritional needs are different.
10. Mealtimes are a proper social occasion. Children are to mind their manners at all meals
Having some fun at the lunch table can help a child feel more comfortable if they are trying to over obstacles with eating!
Do you feel your child may have trouble with eating?
Call us today to schedule an evaluation.