To be more prepared, watch our New Patient Video prior to your first appointment.
How to Prepare for Your Child’s Evaluation:
- Complete the New Client Intake packet. Email or fax it to our clinic 2 business days after receiving it, and also bring a copy with you to the appointment.
- Bring copies of your insurance card and physician referral or prescription.
- If at all possible, arrange for childcare for any siblings so that only the child being evaluated is with you—it is important that the therapist have your full attention.
- Ensure your child is fed, rested, and dressed in appropriate clothing for movement.
- Evaluation appointments take approximately one hour.
- If you need to change your reserved evaluation time, we require 24 hours notice.
During the Evaluation:
Evaluation components may vary depending on your child’s needs.
You may expect some or all of the following:
- The therapist may interview you about your child
- The therapist may conduct tests and evaluations on your child
- The therapist may interview your child
- The therapist may have the child try a few exercises to evaluate his/her ability
- If feeding has been identified as an area of concern, the therapist may feed your child; if this is the case, please bring preferred and non-preferred foods with you to the evaluation
- Preliminary results and possible recommendations for treatment will be reviewed with you at the end of the evaluation
After the Evaluation/First Treatment Sessions:
- Full results of the evaluation will be emailed to you within 4 weeks after the evaluation appointment
- The results will include a recommended plan of care:
- Therapy is typically recommended one or two times per week
- Therapy sessions are 30-50 minutes long and include parent or caregiver communication to review progress and home programming
- The therapy plan will include important exercises/activities for use at home
- There is sometimes a waiting period between the evaluation and the first scheduled treatment session; please ask us about scheduling options that may reduce wait time. We do our best to schedule each child for the soonest treatment appointment available.